Power Automate QuickTip #2 – How to filter SharePoint Get items
Power Automate allows to get SharePoint items and to filter the results.
Use Quick Tips and learn how to load SharePoint records and filter that query.
- Power Automate QuickTip #1 – How to update SharePoint Item
- Power Automate QuickTip #2 – How to filter SharePoint Get items
- Power Automate QuickTip #3 – Post messages in Microsoft Teams
- Power Automate QuickTip #4 – Automate social media posting Scheduled for November 1, 2021
Power Automate gives the opportunity to load records from SharePoint Online list and Microsoft List. Ready-to-use action Get items allow you to load additional data from SharePoint during the business process flow. If you will set up dictionaries or configuration lists you will be able to load precise records based on advanced filtering based on ODATA query.
During the implementation of the business process flow, you can create multiple SharePoint lists. Probably one list will be your master data list and additional, multiple lists will be some kind of dictionary that contains additional data. Imagine an approval matrix that is hosted in centralized SharePoint list and is managed by business users. You can dynamically load approvers from such list during the power Automate process.
In this article you will learn how to use SharePoint flow actions:
- SharePoint Get items
Load the SharePoint data using SharePoint Get item action
SharePoint action Get items allows you to load existing elements from the SharePoint list or from Microsoft List.
- Site address - address of the SharePoint site e.g. https://company.sharepoint.com/sites/myteamsite. It is good to store such addresses in Variables.
- List Name - the name of the list. Using Variable for it is also recommended
When you will set up a connection to the SharePoint list, all available elements will be loaded. You will be able to use this data in the Dynamic Content section.
Filter SharePoint Get items results using Filter Query
Power Automate action SharePoint Get items returns all results from SharePoint List. To get a specific result or to filter it you can use available filtering options:
- Limit Entries to Folder - you can limit the results of the action to a specific Folder
- Filter Query - advanced filtering based to set query ODATA filter query
- Top Count - limit number of resulted records
Filter Query gives the most advanced possibility to filter the results of Power Automate SharePoint Get Items action.
Turn on Power Automate Experimental Features
To make the building filtering queries much easier I would recommend turning on Power Automate Experimental Features. To turn these features got
1. Open the Settings and select View all Power Automate settings.
2. In the Power Automate Settings turn on Experimental Features and Save changes.
When you will get back to the Get items action you will see there is a configurable possibility to set filter query.
Advanced filtering of SharePoint Get items using Filter query
Thanks to the Experimental Features you will be able to set the advanced query filters based on the configurator rather than wrote an ODATA filter query.
You will be able to set advanced filtering of SharePoint record loaded by Get items action.
Power Automate allows you to load SharePoint list records and filter the items using the ODATA filter query in Get items action.
- Admin (9)
- Blog (1)
- Exchange Online (5)
- Forms (2)
- Guest articles (1)
- Interviews (2)
- Licensing (17)
- Microsoft Bookings (1)
- Microsoft Lists (8)
- Microsoft Outlook (5)
- Microsoft Teams (29)
- Microsoft Viva (2)
- Office 365 (19)
- OneDrive (7)
- Planner (3)
- Podcasts (6)
- Power Apps (2)
- Power Automate (12)
- Power BI (1)
- Power Virtual Agents (2)
- Roadmap (9)
- Security & Compliance (2)
- SharePoint Online (56)
- Stream (1)
- To Do (1)
- Videos (22)
- Windows 365 (1)
- Yammer (6)