How to create and share SharePoint Communication Site
SharePoint site is a great answer for all teams working on Office 365 who want to improve collaboration and productivity. SharePoint could become you central workplace that will be used for communication and collaboration.
The best thing in using SharePoint site is that creation of such space is extremely easy. You will be able to create it for 2 minutes.
- Turn on/off SharePoint site creation Self Service
- Prevent SharePoint Online subsites creation
- How to create and share SharePoint Modern Team Site
- How to create and share SharePoint Communication Site
- How to create SharePoint Hub site
- How to rename SharePoint Online site
- Modernize SharePoint Online root site
- How to fix SharePoint performance issues
You can use SharePoint Communication site for:
- intranet site for branch, department or team
- dedicated site to manage the business process
- project information site
- extranet site for external partners or vendors
To build extranet you will need to be able to share the site with external partners. Detailed instruction about sharing your SharePoint site with the external users is described in the article How to share SharePoint site with external partners.
Using SharePoint site will allow you to utilize many great features, like:
- News publishing
- Sending newsletter
- Sharing the documents
- Building knowledge base
- Improving communication with the team
Do not hesitate and create your SharePoint site.
Creation of new SharePoint Community Site
In the first step, you will need to is log in to Office 365
1. Open Office 365
Open Office 365 site using https://office.com address. In Office site choose SharePoint button.
It will open SharePoint site that contains summary from all SharePoint site you have access to.
2. Create the site
In the SharePoint portal site choose Create site button.
If you cannot find link to Create Site button you will need to contact with your IT service team for the creation of the site. Click here to get the email template that you can send to IT Administrator.
3. Choose site template
In the next screen, you should choose the Communication site button.
4. Generate the site
In the final screen of the wizard, you need to configure your site. To create SharePoint Communication:
- (1) Choose a design - Choose Topic template.
- (2) Site name - Put your site name. The name will be displayed in the site header.
- (3) Site address - Optionally you can change site address. To edit it you have to choose the edit button (4). I recommend using short and simple addresses for your site.
- (5) In this space, you will have the possibility to preview your site full address and check if it is available.
- (6) Site description – you should put here 2-3 sentences that allow your colleagues to recognize this site.
- (7) Select a language – Choose here preferred language.
To generate and publish the site click on Finish (8) button.
Your site should be ready in 15-30 seconds. You will be automatically added as a Site Owner.
5. Share the site
To invite your colleagues just click on Share site button.
In the next screen, you need to choose the username in people field (1). You can use put there:
- Office 365 Group
- Security group
When the screen will reload you will be able to choose:
- Permission level (2) - You will have permission level options to choose Full control, Edit or Read.
- Send email (3) option - This field gives you the possibility to send the email notification to chosen user.
- Welcome message (4) - You can put here welcome message to the invited user.
Can I share this site with people outside my organization?
Yes, you can. Detailed instruction about sharing your SharePoint site with the external users is described in the article How to share SharePoint site with external partners.
Do you have an additional question? Put it in the comment or send it to me using the contact form.
- Admin (9)
- Blog (1)
- Exchange Online (5)
- Forms (2)
- Guest articles (1)
- Interviews (2)
- Licensing (17)
- Microsoft Bookings (1)
- Microsoft Lists (8)
- Microsoft Outlook (5)
- Microsoft Teams (29)
- Microsoft Viva (2)
- Office 365 (19)
- OneDrive (7)
- Planner (3)
- Podcasts (6)
- Power Apps (2)
- Power Automate (13)
- Power BI (1)
- Power Virtual Agents (2)
- Roadmap (9)
- Security & Compliance (2)
- SharePoint Online (58)
- Stream (1)
- To Do (1)
- Videos (23)
- Windows 365 (1)
- Yammer (6)